When I was a teenager , I loved to observe the way celebrities dressed and sometimes even attempted to copy their style – the way they did their hair and makeup and so on..; but obviously such styles looked over the top, on a thirteen year old….. It took me many more years from then, to understand that it is not fashion that is important…, it is the attitude and style with which you carry yourself that is far more significant !!!
What you wear ,is a reflection of who you are…so if you blindly ape someone else’s style , you end up concealing your real self and start looking like’that someone’…!
So then ,how do we develop our own style..??
- The first step towards looking good and ‘stylish’ is ‘‘ SELF ACCEPTANCE”. . If you expect others to accept and admire you and the way you look , you need to accept yourself and your body first. Learning to accept yourself as a whole (your body ,shape,complexion,features…etc ) will make you a lot more confident ,which will in turn make others appreciate you. Your being skinny or fat, fair or dark …doesn’t have anything to do with your ”style”…you can be all or any off this and still look stylish…so relax 🙂
- The second step is to ” BE YOURSELF”..No one can stay stylish for a long time by imitating someone else’s style. Style is individual and personal , so your style should speak about who you are , not about someone else.
- The third step is to CHOOSE WHAT LOOKS GOOD ON YOU. It is good to be aware of the fashion trends and sometimes incorporate them in our wardrobe, but one should not be a victim to these fashion trends . What looks good on another person,may not necessarily do so on you…so be very careful in choosing what you wear.
- ‘Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live.’ – Gianni Versace
- Style is what you are comfortable in ,so ” BE COMFORTABLE” in what you wear ,be it shoes,dress or even makeup. Anything that makes you feel conscious ,or uncomfortable ,is not worth it.( Wearing high heels on special occasions,for just some time can be pardoned though ,if it makes you feel beautiful 😉 )
- ”ACCESSORIZE WELL”. Even the best of outfits can be ruined if not accessorized properly. Be it your scarf ,a handbag,a dainty pair of earrings ,a statement necklace or even just a finger ring or watch…, they can make or break your look !!! But do not overdo it…Sometimes it is best to keep it minimal and simple. If you are wearing a statement necklace, give the earrings a miss and viceversa…Too many accessories will make you look tacky..
- ” GOOD SHOES”.. Though shoes are a part of accessorizing , I’d like to talk about them separately..because that is how important they are to your entire style and look !!! Bad shoes can ruin your whole look so choose them well. But careful to choose shoes that fit you well ,otherwise you might end up with a bad shoe bite at the end of the day !!
- Too many women think that they are unimportant, but the real proof of an elegant woman is what is on her feet.’ – Christian Dior
- Now comes the most important part of your style , ”BE CONFIDENT”. Confidence attracts more people ,than any clothes in the world. So carry yourself well , with poise and attitude and see how you turn heads !!! No matter ,how fashionable you are ,you are stylish and attractive only if carry yourself well…
- ”DON’T BE FOOLED BY BRANDS”..Style is in being unique not expensive…You can find your style ,even while shopping in flea markets ,just as you would in a branded store.So make your style preference ,flexible. Go street shopping and see how you enjoy it….
- ”BE CREATIVE AND EXPERIMENTAL ” Play with your styles and let your creative juices come out while putting together a dress. Experiment with new styles without going overboard !!!
- ABOVE ALL HAVE YOUR OWN UNIQUE STYLE.Don’t change yourself to suit a style ,rather be the ”style” ….
So I hope I have covered most points to do with building your own style..Though I believe style is unique to each individual and no fashion label can create it for you..
‘Fashion is what you’re offered four times a year by designers. And style is what you choose.’ – Lauren Hutton
SO STAY UNIQUE ,STAY STYLISH…………...:)))