These days I am in a ‘technology de-addiction’ (don’t refer the lexicon, I just made it up !) mode , not so much by choice as by lack of it . The place I am in right now (and will continue to be for a month or more) as I have written before is a little far away from civilization ( alright, perhaps ‘little’ is an understatement. It is very far from anything close to civilization !).
There is no mobile connectivity, and even land phones are out most of the time, owing to the wind, rain and sometimes neither of these. My accessibility to the internet is restricted to weekends. Needless to say, I am unavailable on my Whatsapp account as well .
But that is what has made me experience this life, as it was before; before any of this had ever come to exist , a life as it was meant to be !
I have discovered that living without facebook or whatspp does not kill. I am living and I have never felt more alive before. Well, alright perhaps, that was a bit of exaggeration , but the essence is the same, I am definitely feeling more human these days ( though I am so addicited to these technological innovations now, that I cannot survive being human for too long! ).
So I await my robotic existence , where I type more than I talk, I see more than I listen and I chat with far away people more than I do with my own family members and emote more with emoticons than with my own face. Wow, what a life !
And here I am, breathing in fresh mountain air as I take my morning walks, feeling the breeze, watching the snow capped peaks, listening to the rustle of the leaves and the cawing the raven ; when I could have just slouched on my couch and exercised my fingers instead (typing on my phone I meant !).
I spend precious mornings and evenings painting flowers and butterflies with my little one, watching animated movies on the laptop together , dancing like crazy to rocking numbers , swinging together in the garden, playing with the little puppy we have got here, watching the bees and the ducks ….. when I could have just handed her a tablet and let her be !
I read more, I write more, I click more pictures and definitely appreciate nature more. I feel so much like a ‘human’ again…a ‘boring’ human who will be a complete and utter misfit in a techno-savvy world.
But am I happy…? Yes. Do I feel good and healthy? I feel refreshed and rejuvenated ! Am I exaggerating again? No, this is honest :P. So I guess, I needed this forced de-addicition to start seeing things as they were before , to start enjoying the simple pleasures of life we take so much for granted otherwise. I needed this, to realize the time I was giving away to these socio-technological innovations , for free. I needed this to let me know that I am supposed to control them and not vice versa.
Well, have I learnt my lessons? I think I have. I cannot and will not wean away completely from any of these , the internet in particular( for how else will I run my precious blog..?) , but I will not go back to being a robot again.
I want to stay human, for this is how God meant us to be !
I am the Wall , built by you
not of bricks, stones or hay
I am the Wall, built by you
made of hatred, prejudice and perceptions lay
I am the Wall, built by you
not to protect , nor shelter from sun or rain
I am the Wall , built by you
to divide lands and spread pain.
I am the Wall , built by you
not to strengthen or support your home
I am the Wall built by you
to weaken humanity, inviting a storm.
I am the Wall of narrow fragmentations
of caste and class , color and religion
I ruin lives , shatter nations
bring misery and despair beyond recognition
Destroy me today , bring me to the ground
Spread love , spread cheer
Let there be no boundaries around
Free this world from hatred and fear
Life of an army wife is no different from a nomad’s . We literally live off suitcases . No home is our home forever . We move . We stay . And just as we fall in love with a place , we pack up and leave again .
Life is not stable , never static . It is action packed for life , or at least till we choose for it to be .
There are many of us , who enjoy it , while a few of us don’t . This shifting of base , every two or three years comes with a lot of benefits and unfortunately with a few negatives as well . But then , it depends on you , whether you want to see the glass half full or half empty .
Here are TEN points to prove that new postings and constant shifts have their benefits :
1. Getting to see new places : This of course may sound like a cliché , but it is indeed the truth . A defence life is the best way to travel across the length and breadth of the country and sometimes even , abroad , without much of an effort or expense . Defence wives , particularly Army wives , can boast of a rich travel experience , including in depth knowledge about the culture and cuisine , of different places , sometimes , the most uninhabited and far off lands too ! So if you are looking for new adventures everyday , get married to an army officer , and you are sure to have one !
2. Collection of handicrafts from across the country : Visit an army house , and it will prove this. Whether it is the artifacts , local handicrafts , an exquisitely furnished center table or a leather bean bag ! We have it all . Each time you visit a new place , or get posted to one , it provides one with ample opportunities to make a collection of the unique cultural exhibits of that place .
3. A unique collection of Sarees and other dress materials : Every army wife makes it a point to shop for clothes , especially handcrafted sarees , specially designed dress materials etc from the place where they are posted . India , being a country rich in a variety of colors and crafts , offers a wonderful shopping opportunity to one and all . The need is to explore these places and crafts , and as far as army wives are concerned , it all all ready made for them !
4. Ready made vacations : Every new place you get posted to , has a list of weekend getaways already tried and tested by your predecessors ( army officers and families have the unique ability to find spots for picnics , even in the most inhospitable areas ! ) and you just need to follow the ready made itinerary and
have fun .
5. Tension free schooling : In most places , there are Army schools and Central schools that enable your kids to continue their education hassle free , even in a ‘middle of the year’ posting .
6. Adaptable kids : Most parents in the defence life , are often worried about their kid’s education and the fact that their child’s overall development may be hampered when they travel so often , and get into the ‘not -so-good’ schools . But , if one does look around , it goes without a doubt that Army kids are smarter , more flexible and adaptable than their civil counterparts . They adjust to new surroundings faster and also cope better with stress in school and outside , owing to the unpredictable nature of their father’s occupation .
7. New homes : The main change that comes with every new posting is a new house , different , similar , inferior or superior to the previous one . This has its advantage in the fact that , you tend to ‘de-clutter’ your home every two years , (each time you shift ! ) and try to avoid collecting junk at home , compared to your civil counterparts , who while living a stable life , tend to keep collecting unwanted stuff , over the years .
8.New neighbors and new friends : Every new posting comes with a lot of new neighbors and friends , which adds more fun to life . Besides , the fact that we would leave in a few year’s time , makes us more tolerant to ‘bad’ neighbors too !
9. New Jobs :Though a lot of women complain about the instability , in the lives of their army men , to be the main cause for them not being able to pursue their respective careers , I personally feel that a lot of these places do provide ample job opportunities , and the short service period prevents you from getting bored with your job . Besides , these days online jobs and freelancing can be carried on uninterrupted , in all areas with a stable net connection . Teaching is , without doubt the best career option of Army wives , and most army cantonments have a school , where you can do so , conveniently .
10.Variety is the spice of life : A new place removes the monotony from our life and adds spice to our romantic lives too .
With new places to explore each time and new adventures to indulge in , life can be anything but boring .
So cheer up !
‘Pride’…. the word itself has its complications. In fact , it is very much like common salt . The excess of salt ruins the whole palette , while less of it , doesn’t let us enjoy the flavors of the food . Sprinkle just the right amount , and it can work wonders !
Similarly if you have too much ‘Pride’ packed into your personality , you will bloat and collapse under the weight of it .
‘Pride hath a fall’ , is a moral lesson infused into us right from our kindergarten days . Remember the story of ‘The hare and the tortoise’ ?
Yet , without this ‘Pride’ , you are left with a deflated ego and a low self esteem. Not a good thing to have either…..
But just the ‘right’ amount will let you flower and touch new heights …
Pride , is a feeling of ‘worth’ , that one may feel for one’s own self or for another person .
Throughout our lives , we are searching for this ‘self worth’ in the eyes of another person. As a child we crave for that one approving look from our mom or that one motivating pat from our dad .
Sometimes we get it in abundance , sometimes we do not . Even when we grow up , we do the same . Just that, now it is not our parental approval that we seek but that of our peers .
A word of praise , a nod of agreement , and sometimes even hugs . As we move on in life , no matter how much we achieve , a thumbs up from our better half , a kiss from our little one , can still go on to make a lot of difference in our life !
A few times , verbal and a few times in gestures , your close ones do tell you how proud they are of you . And sometimes , there are occasions when you may not receive these magical words for something you expect , but then that is life , bear with it !
However , life does not end there . I believe , each one of us , is the best judge of our own ‘self worth’. When one becomes aware of one’s own strengths and weaknesses , is the time one learns to live with both ; to coexist in happiness.
Realizing one’s problem areas and trying to rectify them , is a sign of maturity . Also , a person who accepts his skills and good qualities , without letting them hamper his sensibilities , is a socially mature individual .
Taking pride in oneself is a very good way of staying happy and content . Of course , as I have stated before , this pride should only encourage one to improve upon themselves , rather than demean others .
People who put down others or try to humiliate them are those who , in reality have a poor self worth . In fact , these poor humans are victims of insecurities and frustrated egos , that they try to boost incorrectly by being pompous and disapproving towards others .
I have heard a lot of homemakers forever crib about their better halves or kids never appreciating them or being verbal with their feelings .
But what I would like to say is that the deepest feelings are felt , not told . Besides , learn to be proud of your own self first and the world will follow. A person content in himself , will not have to seek happiness and approval from others .
Of course , we all love to hear somebody tell us , ‘I am so proud of you.’ But your worth shouldn’t be a matter to be judged at the whims of your family and peers. Never let their opinions about you change the way you perceive yourself . Your worth should be judged by you and you alone – you , who is deserving and beautiful , in every which way……….
So tonight before you go to bed , look at yourself in the mirror and say , ‘I am so proud of you !’.
Love yourself . Be proud of the unique person you are , yet modest in your attitude towards others . Do things that will make you proud about yourself , improve yourself everyday and the world will applaud , sooner or later !
This week, share an image that highlights a size relationship — make us pause and take a second look to understand the scale of the elements in your photo.